Thursday, February 11, 2010

Baby Book Review: Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon is a short poem meant to be read to a child before going to bed. It begins by naming all the things in a room, from “two little kittens and a pair of mittens” to “a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush.” Following this, “good night” wishes are granted to everything previously named.

The illustrations match the book’s purpose wonderfully. For example, a bright green room greets the child at book’s start and then gets progressively darker.

Goodnight Moon is not the only bed-time storybook, but it is one of the most highly recommended for a good reason. The book prepares a child for bed in the best way possible: it gives him the comforting reassurance that everything is in its place and all is well—in his room and in the world outside.

5 comments:

  1. One of our all-time favorites. I have it memorized. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gem; I agree! :)

    In my opinion, her other books didn't compare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much have it memorized, too--as I read it to the baby many nights before he was born. (It put his mommy to sleep!)

    Maybe you all have heard of "Good Morning, Merry Sunshine" before. I just discovered it and think it makes the perfect complement to Goodnight Moon.

    I will make a post on it here at some point, with the link back. Right now I'm enjoying my time being a (new) father!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to have your child find the mouse on every page! We have a lot of fun with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still have some time before we even get to that stage--but will definitely play that game. "I Spy" was one of my favorites growing up, and this sounds like a baby version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete