Thursday, February 18, 2010

Good Morning, Merry Sunshine

In the comments section of my post reviewing Goodnight Moon, I mentioned a poem for the mornings that goes perfectly well. It's called "Good Morning, Merry Sunshine" and, without further ado, here it is:

Good morning, merry sunshine,
How did you wake so soon?
You chased away the little stars,
And shone away the moon!

I saw you go to sleep last night
Before I ceased my play.
How did you get back overhead
To shine on me today?

I did not go to sleep, dear child,
I just went round to see
The little children of the world
Who watch and wait for me.

I shine upon the little birds
And flowers on my way,
And then I come back overhead
To shine on you today.

This poem seems to be a variant of a song by G. Ambrose written at the turn of the century. A variant of it, found here, doesn't sound as pleasing--but it does provide a pleasing tweak to the original:

Good morning merry sunshine,
How did you wake so soon?
You scared away the little stars
And shone away the moon.

I saw you go to sleep last night
Before I ceased my playing.
How did you get way over there?
And where have you been staying?

I did not go to sleep, dear child,
I've been shining all the while.
But as you're world keeps turning 'round
It hides me from your sight.

But as it turns you back again
You'll find me waiting here
To shine a bright "good morning" down
On all the children dear.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this delightful little gem, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. And thanks for the feedback! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to find this and your reference to the original by G. Ambrose. My mom and Dad used to sing just the first stanza to me when I was a toddler. My name is Merry Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to know the author of the poem, "Good morning merry sunshine". Ty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send it the summary of this poem

    ReplyDelete